(not a self portrait)
After weeks of hearing some great and some not so great comments on my body, I thought I would write a nice little post to inform the world on appropriate and not appropriate things to say to a pregnant woman.
Things to say: When a woman is pregnant her self esteem is not at it's highest point. A pregnant lady is impatient to get her beautiful, but not fully "cooked" baby out of her body so she can breathe, eat, and generally feel like a person again. This is a time to only say kind and uplifting things.
1. You look great!
2. Wow, you are so tiny!
3. I wish I looked like you when I was pregnant!
4. You are almost done.
5. Wow, I would have never thought you were that far along!
Things not to say: this is a great guide in whether or not to voice your precious opinion.... Imagine said pregnant lady is simply overweight and not pregnant...would you still make your very perceptive comment? If not, DON'T SAY IT! She already knows what you are likely going to comment on. If you must make a comment...say it in your head and move on. If you just can't help yourself, change the comment. If she is bigger than a planet, you could simply say..."You look fantastic!"
1. You are starting to waddle!
2. How far along are you? Oh, you still have a LONG time to go.
3. You keep getting bigger and bigger, each time I see you.
4. Lookin' BIG!
5. Have you been eating a lot of donuts?
6. How much weight have you gained?
7. You have got to be having twins!
Maybe, just maybe, we could leave all comments about the pregnant woman in our heads. Simply treat this woman like the person she is, and forget her personal appearance for now, and give her something else to talk about. You could ask her about a book she's read, if you could do her laundry, how she gets her bathrooms so sparkling, etc.....