Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Family

Yesterday while I was at Stake Conference I was reminded of a simple truth.  We are children of God.  He loves us dearly.  I think the first time I got a glimpse of the power of his love was when I became a parent.  I remember watching my children sleep as they were babies, and an overwhelming rush of love would come over me. I realized then, that if I love my children with a love that was so powerful and binding (yet I am a very imperfect being), how much my Father in Heaven must love me. This glimpse of his matchless love has taught me more about why we have families. Families are to help us understand the Gospel better. Everything in this life is here to help us come closer to our Heavenly Father, to learn, to grow, and to bring us joy. I love this song that came out in last months friend. The words are below, and this is the link to the song.

I love all the truths this song teaches in its simplicity. We are all in the family of God. We each have roles in our family....a mother, a father, and children. God gave us families to teach us! It is the perfect place for us to make mistakes, and learn from them. It is the perfect place to practice the things we learn in a safe environment. Families love each other, and we make mistakes together, but we always know that no matter what, we Love each other. I am so grateful for these shining moments of Joy when I understand the gospel plan a little better. I am so grateful for the adult session of Stake Conference....the quiet moments of reflection and gospel truth help me so much. I am so grateful for the whisperings of the spirit to help me get out of my "funks" and focus my attention of the beauties of the gifts I have been given. I am grateful for families, to help me understand my Heavenly Father's love better. I hope YOU know that He loves YOU too!


The Family is of God

1. Our Father has a family. It’s me!
It’s you, all others too: we are His children.
He sent each one of us to earth, through birth,
To live and learn here in fam’lies.

2. A father’s place is to preside, provide,
To love and teach the gospel to his children.
A father leads in fam’ly prayer to share
Their love for Father in Heaven.

3. A mother’s purpose is to care, prepare,
To nurture and to strengthen all her children.
She teaches children to obey, to pray,
To love and serve in the fam’ly.

4. I’ll love and serve my family and be
A good example to each fam’ly member.
And when I am a mom or dad, so glad,
I’ll help my fam’ly remember:

[Chorus]
God gave us families to help us become what He wants us to be—
This is how He shares His love, for the fam’ly is of God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Sarah. I'm having one of those funky days myself. But, I sure do love my family, and I'm grateful too for the important part they play in Heavenly Father's plan. You ROCK!

Summertime Designs said...

That is a great song. The words sum up what families are all about along with the individual roles. I have my moments of wanting to be totally "independent" and not "depended on". But then those moments are quickly erased when I look into my kids' and hubby's eyes and realize that they are the reasons I do what I do. I am so glad that Cory is able to have a job so that I can be a stay-at-home mom! Heavenly Father has created the perfect plan. Thanks for your post.

Ruth said...

Such a beautiful song!
"Family" that's what it's all about!