Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A new kind of LAZY


I have been lazy lately.  Not your typical kind of lazy.  The kind of lazy that never wants to leave the house.  I spend enough time in my car lately, that I basically NEVER want to get in my car if I don't have to.  So, when I am running out of groceries, or I am missing some key ingredient for dinner, I make do.

It has been a beautiful thing.  I don't have to go anywhere, and my house is smelling like wonderful baked goods.  Even though, it does take a little energy to make homemade bread, my soul is still intact, which is more than I could say if I went to the store one more time.  When I have made these fines loaves,  I have to make 4.  Yes, 4.  2 loaves for dinner, and 1 loaf for after school (who can deny children fresh baked bread with homemade jam....who?  no one).  And 1 extra for left overs....right?  right?  it's kinda insane, but it's also terribly yummy.

Here's my kids favorite bread recipe, maybe you can be lazy too.


Ingredients

  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 cups bread flour

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
  2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

2 comments:

Carla said...

Can you use regular flour?

Sarah Bisel said...

Yes. Regular flour is perfect.