Saturday, June 16, 2012

Happy Father's Day

Beware...this isn't short.

I'm far away from the father of my children, and very near to my own dear father.  

I wish, so much, I could do something special to help celebrate the amazing FATHER Bj is.  WOW.   He impresses me all the time with what a great dad he is.  Just today, he drove to Phoenix, and waited at the airport for nigh unto 2.5 hours to pick up our daughter (who flew for the first time as an unaccompanied minor).  He didn't want her to have any opportunity to feel insecure, or for something unexpected to happen.  This is the kind of man he is.  I am also amazed that he is willing to make a 2 round trip drives to UT just so I can visit my family.  He takes care of us, and does it with a smile.  I am blessed, and grateful.  Thank you Honey!

So, what makes Bj so special?    I looked through the photos I have taken throughout the years to illustrate what a great Father he is.

 He goes above and beyond.  It was Mitchell's birthday, I was out of town, and instead of making a regular cake (or buying one like many dad's might do), he made a three layer ice-cream cake.  He definitely goes above and beyond the call of duty. 

 He is the FUN one.  It is well documented in our family, that if you want to do something fun, you should ask Dad.   He is the one that will plan big camping trips, and bring all the gear you want.  He is the one that will plan and carry out fun family activities that take all day.  He is the FUN one, and we are all grateful to have a FUN one in our family.

  He is HANDY!  All Dad's should be handy.  Okay, that is my personal belief since my own dad was super handy.  I am grateful that for all our home improvement projects, Bj has been the go to guy. He has lost sleep thinking about how to make something perfect.  I can totally count on him to be amazing, at all times, and in all things, and in all places. I love that he teaches our children these skills.  I love that a few weeks ago, he and Mitchell took apart the downstairs toilet to get a toy Noah flushed down.  Bj is special (the good kind).


Loves playing with the kids.  Even when he has care taking responsibilities, Bj still finds time to have some fun, and be a good dad at the same time.  I love it.

 He is INVOLVED.  He has been the coach every year our kids have been in soccer.  He is so patient.  So kind, and so loving.  I love that my kids have the chance to learn about sports through him (they surely won't learn it from me).
***Look at Lizard...trying to avoid the little boy attempting to hold her hand.  Cracking me UP!

He LOVES them.    Oh my goodness, Bj loves his children.  He adores them.  He takes time for them.  He makes sure he is home to enjoy them each day.  When other fathers want to be alone on Fathers Day, all he wants to do is to be with them.  I LOVE THAT! 


He is FUNNY.   Well, he thinks he is.  He tells the kids all his favorite jokes, and works hard to make them laugh, and laugh, and laugh.  He loves this, and they love HIM!

He is a worthy Priesthood holder.  I love that our children can always count on Bj to take care of them.  He leads our family to choose the right.  He is always worthy to give them blessings for health and spiritual needs.  This is one of the greatest blessings of our lives!


He LOVES me.  He shows our children what it means to love.  He takes care of me, and teaches my sons what it is like to be a good man and husband.  He shows me tenderness, and my girls know what kind of man they need to look for when choosing a spouse.  He is a good example in so many ways.  He is loyal, kind, fun, and unafraid to show me affection.  I love the man he is.


He is HUMBLE.   So, not everyone in Bj's family will agree.  But, truly he is humble. At the end of the day, when he reviews his choices....he is so humble.  He sees all the ways he can improve, he makes goals to improve, he tries to be patient, and apologizes for his mistakes.  When it is so easy to be proud and unteachable, Bj is willing and happy to admit his mistakes (not that he ever makes any mistakes), and gets to work.


This Fathers Day when I am far from him, I hope Bj knows what an amazing Father I think he is. 

Bj, I love you.  Thank you for giving me 4 amazing beautiful children.  Thanks for making me a mother, and being the father I always dreamed my children would have. 


And last, but not least.  My own sweet Father.  Oh my goodness, I love him.  This is the man that worked so hard to teach me all the lessons of life.  
He taught me to take responsibility for every choice I made.  EVERY CHOICE.  If I was sad, angry, happy, or silly...it was a choice.  I love that lesson.  
He taught me to keep my word.  To be honest in all that I do.  
He tried to teach me to care little for others opinions of me (still working on it).  
He is an example of true love.  When Lizzy was suddenly fighting for her life, he was on a plane in hours to be by my side (even though I wouldn't show or share my concern).  He acts tough, but he has a heart of gold.  
When all other parents disliked teenagers, he embraced us.
He taught me about boys, how to avoid them, how to dance with them, how to take their arm, and what they are really thinking.
He taught us to think for ourselves.  To question, and be honest about our conclusions.
He taught us to do hard things.  To stand up for others, when no one else will.

I am so very grateful for the Father I was blessed to have.  Thanks Dad for being the best father I could ever dream of.






No comments: